Using your experience

Sign in or register to add page to my resources

Using your experience to gain exemption from part of a course

You may be able to gain exemption from parts of your course if you can provide relevant evidence to show you have already covered the subject content of one or more course modules through your previous qualifications.

This can lead to Accreditation of Prior Certificated Learning (APCL). Each Higher Education Institution will have defined a maximum amount of credit which can be awarded to a course through APCL. 

To gain credit for previous certificated learning you will normally need to provide evidence of your previous qualifications in the form of a certificate, transcript, formal letter, or pass list. Such a document should normally include the following details:

  • name of the institution
  • awarding body
  • course title studied
  • student name
  • dates of study and
  • (where appropriate) modules passed, credit points achieved and final award.

Please note:  Your experience and qualifications may have a certain ‘shelf life’ depending on the particular course you are applying for. There may have been changes in the knowledge base or regulations associated with the subject area which means that your knowledge and skills may require updating.

Working with partners across the North East Region

Find a provider