Ok, so it isn't paid work but volunteering can be a great way to build your skills and experience to help you get back into work.
Doing voluntary work can help you in a range of ways:
It can help you:
- Try a different area of work.
- Learn new skills.
- Develop skills and experiences you can mention on your CV.
- Have evidence to show future employers that you are being proactive and keeping busy.
- Find something useful to do if you are not in work.
- Feel you are doing something worthwhile.
If you are interested in volunteering then visit http://www.do-it.org.uk/ to find out more and to search through one million opportunities to volunteer and apply online.
Top Tips to help you start volunteering.
- Think about what you want from volunteering - new skills, fun, a chance to contribute to a cause, etc.
- Think about what you have to offer - enthusiasm, work skills, life skills, etc.
- Work out roughly how much time you have to give, and how many times a week or month.
- Browse! The best way to find out what's available is to do some searches on the do-it database. Use the quick search or try the advanced search.
- Remember that everyone can volunteer - whatever your skills, experience or background you should be able to find an opportunity.
- Ask questions - don't be shy about asking questions as you go through the process of applying for an opportunity.
- Just try it - often the most difficult part of volunteering is making the first move, so be brave!