Sign in or register to add page to my resources
Tips for getting employment
There are lots of websites offering advice on how to get a job so search online to find vacancies and get specific help (see bottom of page for links). Here are a few general tips to get you started:
- Add recruitment websites to your list of 'favourites' on your computer, check them regularly or request alert messages if jobs become available.
- Explore job profiles and start planning how you will be able to show you have the right skills for the job, try to provide evidence of your skills to show you have experience.
- Find out how social media can help with job search.
- Get a Linkedin account and market your skills clearly on your profile.
- Be aware that prospective employers might well search for you online so make sure there is nothing on there which will be embarrasing!
- Keep your CV up-to-date and to 2 sides of A4, type it not write it. The National Career Service offers a CV Builder and the NE Career Engine HE Skills Map will help you identify valuable skills and experiences.
- Write speculative letters to local firms, don't wait for jobs to be advertised.
- Use the Gov.uk Job Match service.
- Prepare for interviews - there are lots of websites with advice on how to do this.
Here are a few of the websites offering support for job hunting/vacancies: