There are many benefits from doing a higher education level course
You may already have a clear idea of the benefits a higher education level qualification can give you – such as a better salary, for example. It’s true that people with a higher level qualification do tend to earn more than those without, however there are lots of other benefits too - like the people you meet, the sense of achievement, a new way of looking at problems, as well as changes to your social and family life.
Here are a few good reasons for doing a higher education level course:
- Many higher education courses provide a vocational programme that is directly related to particular work areas, such as accountancy, business administration, library studies, sports science and teaching.
- A higher education qualification is essential for initial entry to some careers, such as, architecture, dentistry, nursing, etc.
- A degree, diploma or HND usually improves your chances of obtaining a fulfilling job and can increase your earnings.
- A higher level qualification helps develop important transferable skills e.g. numeracy, communication and information technology, which can give you the edge in the job market.
- You may be at a stage in life when you can study a favourite subject for personal enjoyment or because it is something you have always wanted to do.
- You can study either full or part-timer, a lot of mature students choose to study part-time, fitting it in around their present work.
- Some universities and colleges also offer distance learning courses.
This section of NE Career Engine will tell you more about both the financial and personal benefits and will give you a chance to think about what you personally hope to get out of the experience, so that you can make the most of the opportunity and ensure you get what you want!
You may also find the Getting Started section useful.